Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Throwback to when it was 2016

 Malakai's Birth Story

Rebekah Boss
September 20, 2016  4 min read 
Shared with Public
Public
I have trouble keeping things short, but here is my attempt! All praise to the Lord! Every birth is a miracle and I am constantly amazed and humbled to be a mom... this story is no different ❤
We arrived at the hospital about 1:30pm after my contractions had begun just after 12pm. I was so thankful to make it while still being in soft labor. Oh what an answer to prayer!
It was hilarious though when we went to check in they didn't seem to have any record of me in their computer system! It took us a good ten minutes to realize that they were just spelling my name wrong. So goofy!
Then I sat in the waiting room for only like 2 minutes before they brought me in a side room and took my vitals. One of the nurses found out I had been almost 4cm for 2 weeks already and she exclaimed: "I had my epidural at 4cm! Wow!". That made me feel all tough and enduring haha but I also just laughed because its not like I could have lived with an epidural on me for those last 2 weeks lol so that was never really an option for me.
Finally we made it to the hospital delivery room around 2pm! Praise the Lord my labor was still pretty tame. I really had not wanted to deliver this child in the lobby or the car. So, with my mom, my mother in law and my hubby all in the room with me, our waiting game began!
I was still in denial that I was actually in real labor yet, but since we were at the hospital and all checked in, I decided to try and get myself comfortable. Jeremy hung up my written out verses, set up our portable speaker with my labor playlist going and then pulled out our coloring books. I kept trying to color but by the time my labor really started getting harder sometime between 3 and 3:30 I kept having to focus so much on relaxing through my contractions that I definitely didn't get very far with coloring. lol.
Things were definitely progressing but I didnt really know how far because I had asked the nurse not to tell me what my dilation was whenever she checked me. I thought maybe the fancy bathtub in the room might help me to keep relaxing, so I asked Jeremy to start getting it ready. My mom was like, "I dont know that you will have time for that..." and so I smiled and Jeremy just said, "I will start it and then we can see..." Sure enough though, before he could even fill up the tub a quarter of the way, my water broke! lol.
When my water broke around 4pm the nurses came in and so did the Doctor on call at the time. He didnt stay long though before he walked out again. The OB I had been seeing the month before had not arrived yet, but I was already feeling the urge to push! My mom was totally picking up on this and so was Jeremy, so they put their gloves on and stood faithfully beside me, but the nurses were talking so much with their backs turned, right next to me that it seemed like they had no clue. To be fair, there was a nurse in training there, but still... lol.
I was totally in position for pushing, at least for me, it feels way more natural to be on all fours, but I know hospitals like to put birthing moms on their back. So even though it did not seem like anyone else was ready, except my mom and Jeremy, I gave out a solid push and baby Kai's head popped out. The nurse finally noticed and told me to stop in a half teasing but half serious tone because she didnt want to deliver without the doctor today. I was basically like, whatever lady, this baby is coming... but thankfully I had to wait for another contraction before pushing baby out all the way. As Dr. Hughes rushed in and put his gloves on, he barely made it in time to help catch Baby Kai with my hubby. Wow!
I was in shock, like for real, did this baby really finally come? I put my head down and prayed to hear him breathe. A few pats from the burses and only moments later, I heard a precious little cry along with "It's a Boy!"
It was super weird not to hold my baby for like a half hour or more because they were clearing him out and I still had to deliver the placenta and get cleaned up. So strange. Very different from my homebirth experiences... but finally Jeremy was able to lay our new baby boy on my chest and I basically just cried with joy and relief! What an overwhelming gift! A new person ❤
Welcome to the World Malakai Raymond Boss!
Thank You Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment