Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Heart Test...

Where's the stroller?!  Arrgh.  I totally left it in the garage at home!  Why didnt I realize sooner?  Now I have to turn around and go back to get it.
After a fairly smooth morning, lazily getting ready for a walk date with friends, I suddenly realized we were definitely going to be late now.  You would think with a relaxed morning that I wouldn't be so eager to get into a tizzy about being late, but then...  I wasn't thinking on the thankful side of things.  I was feeling entitled to my wealth of freedom that I had experienced during the first half of my morning.  So, with that mindset- or should I say, heart set- my emotions were feeling quite justified in being annoyed.  All the while my little toddler was chillin' out in his car seat to some music- not caring at all that we were going to be late (what was wrong with me?!).
As I pulled up in my driveway and went to open the back of the car, of course in my selfish rush, I had forgotten to actually unlock the back.  So I stomped over to the front car door again and pressed unlock and then stomped back- huffing, puffing, and muttering.  I had to unload a bunch of stuff from the back and pile it into our already cluttered garage...  something I was also not very happy about... when suddenly, my neighbor next door pops up right next to me as I wheel my stroller down the driveway to put it in the back.  "Can I help?" he asked.  He definitely surprised me as I stopped and looked at him for a moment.  Then I smiled and felt a little ashamed inside...  Here I was complaining and feeling alone, when hello, from out of nowhere this nice man just wanted to help...  "Why- yes please!" I replied, finding my voice again.  "Thank you!" I exclaimed as he loaded up my stroller into the car.  I suddenly wondered why I was in SUCH a rush, it seemed so silly now.  And he replied back kindly, "what are friends for?"  As if to just say don't mention it...  He was just happy to help.  
Oh what a treasure of unexpected love I would have missed if I didn't have to go back for my stroller.  And I can't help but mention that this neighbor is an older man with a mental handicap, which is funny to say since it seems that my mental state was much more handicapped than his.  He was ready to help before I knew he was even there.  It's crazy too, because he doesn't usually talk very much at all, or if he does it can be hard to understand, but his words came out clear and kind this morning!  Truly Jesus' love was shining through his sweet face and I was blessed.
In the end, as I drove away, feeling suddenly overwhelmed and thankful- I couldn't help but reflect that God tests our hearts with the simplest of things sometimes.  My prayer is that I won't miss His love, His people, His joy, or His face!  Thankful for the way God shows His love for us through other people.  And, I am hoping that I won't miss my opportunity to pass His love on to others today too ;)


"The crucible is for silver, and the furnace is for gold, and the Lord tests hearts." - Proverbs 17:3

"Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!" - Psalm 119:36


No comments:

Post a Comment