Saturday, September 14, 2013

Listening and Obeying... In the Days of My Flesh...


"In the days of His flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, 

with loud cries and tears, 
to Him who was able to save Him from death, 

and He was heard because of His reverence. 
Although He was a son, 

He learned obedience through what He suffered. 
And being made perfect, 

He became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey Him..." 
(Hebrews 5:7-9 ESV)

Am I "listening" to The Lord?  Am I obeying by "hearing" His Words and carrying out their commands?  Obedience is not described easily in these passages but it is defined as essential!

"Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though He was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. 
And being found in human form, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. 
Therefore God has highly exalted Him and bestowed on Him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." 
(Philippians 2:5-11 ESV)


Am I living obediently to His humility?  Do I have the "mind of Christ"?  These verses say to "have the mind of Jesus" and that through Jesus it is possible to have His mind!  
So what is within that precious head of His?  Equality with God was not what He reached for, or even imagined ever taking hold of...  Jesus poured Himself out under the strength of Gods authority!  

Am I ready to pour myself out under the strength of God?  Jesus did!  I only pray that I may do so too...

Yes, Jesus became a servant by becoming a man in the flesh.  As human beings, wrapped up in our skin, we are simply meant to serve our Creator.
Aw that beautiful thought- being at peace to be nothing before anyone else, but a servant of God...  Nothing but His!  Are you at peace with this thought?

If everything else was taken from you, could you find solace in the fact that you are under Gods authority and His mighty hand?  I ask myself this same question... Unable to really imagine what it would look like in my life to give all that Jesus gave- freely and so completely- pouring out His life in obedience to God our Father.  

Stuck within my own flesh, it is hard to believe anything good can come from suffering.  Yet Jesus suffered... and He was only good!  When we are in the middle of discomfort and pain, it can often be all-consuming; it is so easy to only focus on what we feel.  Jesus however, even though he openly felt (he wept and cried), did not allow His emotions to consume Him fully- but rather His obedience to God mastered His emotions!  He trusted past His own personal pain and moved forward with the reality that God is God and there is no one else worthy of following.

Oh that my heart and mind will be the same as that of Christ Jesus!  I can think of no better way to prepare for birth and labor...  for life and love...  then to meditate on Gods Word.  Of course, I can do this after my little girl is born, but I am thankful for a few more moments to soak in His truth before she arrives ;) to know that through Jesus and what He has already lived out- I can have His mindset too...  Death is conquered!  There is glory in His precious name...
Thank you Jesus!


"Open to me the gates of righteousness, that I may enter through them and give thanks to the Lord. 

This is the gate of the Lord; the righteous shall enter through it. I thank you that you have answered me and have become my salvation. 

The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone. 

This is the Lord ’s doing; it is marvelous in our eyes. 

This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. Save us, we pray, 

O Lord ! O Lord, we pray, give us success! 

You are my God, and I will give thanks to you; you are my God; I will extol you. 

Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for 

His steadfast love endures forever!"

(Psalm 118:19-25, 28, 29 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment